Monday, September 23, 2013

Life on Whyte

 I was skipping down Whyte Ave this weekend and a female busker stood perched on a flower bed, playing a guitar and singing a song. I passed her once and didn't really pay attention. Sure, I heard her but I sure as heck wasn't listening. The second time I past- It was like someone hit me in the face with a frying pan. Her voice was incredible. Such that I actually was 10 paces in front, stopped dead in my tracks, turned around and placed 20 bucks in her guitar case.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said- "thank you so much. You just made my day"

Guess what- she made mine.


Poem Man

'Poetry for sale- Get it while its hot!'

This guy is actually pretty cool. A friend of mine was with me and bumped into another friend on the corner of Whyte and 107th. There sat this man in a top hat, his typewriter (yes, a typewriter) and a journal with pullout pages. He said "Hello miss would you like to buy a poem- fresh off the press".
I got talking with him. He actually was really quite interesting. He writes about 30-40 poems in a day and charges $8 a poem. This is all he does. He got the idea from another busker down south in the USA. People flock to him for live poems. Love poems. Poems about their girlfriends. Poems about the weather. Their dog. Their evil exes... the list goes on.

Lesson to be learned- Open your ears. Ask more questions. There are some really cool people out there with some really interesting stories.

No comments: