Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A placebo please

It is 10 in the morning. I have rollers in my hair and I am wondering around in my bathrobe with 2 different colors of sox with a can of peaches in hand and a fork (god forbid I dirty any dishes). How did I manage to get myself into this state. Well I had to watch a movie by myself last night and insomnia loomed over me for a good 3 hours after that then I decided that I was going to read a entire book as well. I didn't get to sleep until about 4 this morning. Classes are almost finished so I am allowed to sleep in- that is until I hear a certain someone playing with the door stopper and all I hear in a "BOINGGGGGGGG" every 5seconds. I don't mind really. I just should take some sleeping pills before bed so I'm not so unpleasent in the AM... speaking of which....Did I also mention I have morphed into a pill popping tyrant? Actually, I better explain that one before anyone thinks inappropriatly of me. It started with a multi vitamin and the regular "Pill"... now, mornings consist of that plus a energin, detox, and 3 B6B12. I guess I am taking this new diet to an extreme. It's nice because I have had these sitting in my cupboard for god knows how long (yet not long enough to expire) and I am finally putting them to use. I have felt no difference cause this is Day 2. Maybe they are just a placebo and a mere figmant of my imagination just to make me more "mentally alert". Half the time I wonder about medications and if they really do what they indeed are supposed to. Take advil. half the time it doesn't work. I don't take it often at all so there is no built up immunity to it (can you build a immunity to that anyways?)... and what about those psychiatric medications? Do they really affect people or is it all just a mental circus show to reveal just how powerful the mind is? Either way, I guess the world will never know because if that be the case then the pharmacy industry would go down the drain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My opinion, the placebo effect is dumb.
There is no way that drugs have no effect on people. Ok, some drugs like Advil aren't very strong, so they might not work if your headache or whatever is really bad. Sometimes drugs like Advil won't take the pain away no matter how many you take cause its just the wrong medication for that situation.
There is however, a possibility that a drug will eventually stop working if the patient gets too used to it and builds up an immunity. I mean, if you take a Tylenol religiously every 4 hours of your life, and you get a headache and take another one, its probably not going to help cause your body will be used to the acepaminophen. The body builds up an immunity to anything if its taken too often. Caffiene will not keep you awake anymore if you drink Red Bulls 8 times a day, every day. Nicotine - if your body didn't get use to this drung, everybody would only smoke a few cigarettes a day. Sleeping pills (aka zopiclone) can get used to as well. Working in a pharmacy has taught me that much. People will start out taking half a tablet a night to fall asleep, the next thing you know they're getting 120 tablets for a month's supply.
There are debates on whether or not drugs work, but I'm gonna say they do. Just take them when you need them, and take the right drug for the job and you'll be fine. If anyone says that they only work cause you think they will, give them a syringe of heroine and tell them is the new flu vaccine...see what happens!

Anonymous said...

Well, thankyou Dr.Pharmacy- Where does one get that new flu shot- I have a friend who may be interested.